Module 1
We live in a world surrounded by technology. It's hard to remember my life without cell phones, internet, or computers even though I grew up without each of those devices. According to Bauer(2014), I am a digital immigrant because I was not born into the digital age but have come to it later in my life. My students are what he calls digital natives because they have grown surrounded by technology(p.5). It does not matter the age of a person, because technology has become a part of everyone's lives.
Classrooms are getting rid of the traditional black boards and replacing them with smart boards. Almost all of my students have cell phones. Technology is all around us and it is important as educators to utilize it appropriately in the classroom. With the use of technology, lessons become more student centered which makes students more eager to contribute to the lesson and will most likely gain more information from it. According to Tamim, Bernard, Borokhovski, Abrami and Schmid (2011), "when technology was appropriately utilized, small to moderate gains in student learning resulted when compared to non-technology-based teaching approaches" (As cited in Bauer, 2014, p. 7). I have found ways to incorporate technology in the classroom with the use of Garageband. Students compose songs using loops. I love this because each composition is completely different and it allows students to take risks. I do feel that students gain from this experience and become better musicians. I also have students complete assignments and watch videos on google classroom. This is my first year using google classroom and it benefits students because they are more accountable for practicing at home and are able to watch videos and reflect on them on their own time.
According to Bauer(2014), "Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge (TPACK) is a way to conceptualize the use of technology for student learning with a specific educational context" (p.13). It is important as music educators to attend professional development workshops throughout our career to keep up to date on new softwares, technological devices that help with the learning of content in music. Some examples of TPACK in music education are teaching composition through the use of Garageband (rather than the traditional use of manuscript paper), having students post videos of their performance on a class website like padlet, responding to videos that the teacher posts on Google classroom. I utilize technology in the classroom, but I am eager to find other ways I can incorporate it.
Reference
Bauer W.I. (2014). Music learning today: Digital pedagogy for creating, performing, and responding to music. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Classrooms are getting rid of the traditional black boards and replacing them with smart boards. Almost all of my students have cell phones. Technology is all around us and it is important as educators to utilize it appropriately in the classroom. With the use of technology, lessons become more student centered which makes students more eager to contribute to the lesson and will most likely gain more information from it. According to Tamim, Bernard, Borokhovski, Abrami and Schmid (2011), "when technology was appropriately utilized, small to moderate gains in student learning resulted when compared to non-technology-based teaching approaches" (As cited in Bauer, 2014, p. 7). I have found ways to incorporate technology in the classroom with the use of Garageband. Students compose songs using loops. I love this because each composition is completely different and it allows students to take risks. I do feel that students gain from this experience and become better musicians. I also have students complete assignments and watch videos on google classroom. This is my first year using google classroom and it benefits students because they are more accountable for practicing at home and are able to watch videos and reflect on them on their own time.
According to Bauer(2014), "Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge (TPACK) is a way to conceptualize the use of technology for student learning with a specific educational context" (p.13). It is important as music educators to attend professional development workshops throughout our career to keep up to date on new softwares, technological devices that help with the learning of content in music. Some examples of TPACK in music education are teaching composition through the use of Garageband (rather than the traditional use of manuscript paper), having students post videos of their performance on a class website like padlet, responding to videos that the teacher posts on Google classroom. I utilize technology in the classroom, but I am eager to find other ways I can incorporate it.
Reference
Bauer W.I. (2014). Music learning today: Digital pedagogy for creating, performing, and responding to music. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Comments
Post a Comment